The iPhone is one of the most popular smartphones ever released. Apple, the American company behind this product, is competing with Samsung for the global smartphone market and these two giants have invested billions to outdo each other. From a consumer point of view, this competition has done well to give rise to a wide range of state of the art phones and the new iPhone 8, the iPhone 8 Plus and the futuristic iPhone X are the latest of Apple’s releases that show just how far the smartphone industry has come.
The iPhone 8, for example, features an all-glass design, wireless charging, and is 100% water and dust proof. The iPhone will come with a 4.7-inch retina display while the iPhone 8 Plus will have a 5.5-inch display. There’s also a 3D touch feature, brilliant colors, and a more advanced 12MP camera.
However, Apple has released many other phones and here’s a comparison between earlier models and the latest iPhone 8.
|Features||Iphone 8||Iphone 7||Iphone 6|
|Display||4.7-inch (diagonal) widescreen LCD Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
|4.7-inch LCD multi touch with a resolution of 750 x 1334||4.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit widescreen Multi ‑ Touch display with IPS technology
|Battery||3000 mAh inbuilt battery||1,960 mAh inbuilt battery||2915 mAh muilt-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery|
|Weight||148 grams||Weight: 138g|
|Camera||12MP wide-angle and telephoto camera||12MP Rear Camera and 7 MP front camera||8-megapixel iSight camera with 1.5µ pixels
|Performance||A11 Bionic chip with 64-bit architecture||A10 Fusion chip with 64-bit architecture
|A8 chip with 64-bit architecture
|Memory||64 GB internal memory with the possibility of extending it to 250 GB using and Micro SD||32 GB can extend to 128 GB||16 GB, 64 GB and 128 GB|
|Sensors||Touch ID fingerprint sensor
|Touch ID fingerprint sensor
|Touch ID fingerprint sensor
Common iPhone Issues
The features you get from the iPhone are amazing but it’s not uncommon to find a few bugs or issues with these phones, even on the latest iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.
In case you have issues with the iPhone, you can either try to rectify them on your own or get professional repair from an Apple Service Center or an authorized repair service provider.
The iPhone screen including the 4.7-inch widescreen LCD multi-touch display on the iPhone 8 is very delicate and it can easily be damage due to a number of reasons.
Here are some of the common screen issues with iPhones:
- The screen can become unresponsive or responds very slowly to the touch
- Sometimes the screen freezes for no reason. This was especially common with the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus
- The screen goes blank and fails to respond after that
- The screen is scratched, broken or cracked
- If you experience any of these screen issues then it’s important to have your iPhone checked by an expert at iRepair. In many cases, these signs may indicate that the screen is defective and needs to be replaced. Replacements at the Apple Service Center will cost between $169 and $219 depending on the iPhone model you have. The newer iPhone 8 model might cost more.
Battery Issues with the iPhone
The iPhone 8 features a 3000 mAh battery which is pretty much the same as the iPhone 7 in terms of performance. The iPhone 6 and the iPhone 5 had 1810 mAh and 1500 mAh batteries respectively. The battery can have many issues though like quick drain where the phone’s power drains really fast, slow charging and no charging at all. A more serious matter is battery overheating and bloating.
- In cases of quick drain, slow charging or no charging, you can try to close apps that are using more power or try a different charger and see if it works. As for the overheating or bloating, the battery needs to be replaced. You can go to iRepair with your phone and everything will be solved. Battery replacements at the Apple Service Center will cost $118 but for the iPhone 5 you may have to pay $189.
There are a few things that can tell you whether your camera is working well or not. For example, if you’re getting blurred images, the flash light doesn’t work, the camera turns blank, or fails to capture anything at all, the camera is defective. The best way to handle this is to have the camera replaced. At iRepair, you can have the work done very easily.
iPhone Water Damage
Other than the iPhone 8, the iPhone 8 Plus, and the iPhone X, other previous models of the iPhone are not waterproof. They, however, come with water damage sensors that can help indicate whether the iPhone has been exposed to water or not. Exposure to water can cause serious damages. The warranty does not cover water damage and you may need the help of a third-party repair service provider.
- If your phone falls into water or any other liquid, dry it off and then turn it off. Take the phone to a repair service as fast as you can in order to minimize the extent of the damage. iRepair can handle water damage issues for you.
Things to Note Before Sending your Phone for Repairs
The most important thing is to back up all your data. If you are going for the Apple Service Center, make sure you’ve performed a factory reset too. In addition to this, you may also want to understand more about the issue you are having and the costs involved in the repair.
Apple iPhone Service Centers in Singapore
There are 3 major apple iPhone service centers in Singapore at the moment and they are:
- LAB PLAZA SINGAPURA 2.4 km PLAZA SINGAPURA, 68 ORCHARD ROAD, #04-12B SINGAPORE 238839 +65 6784 1318
- APPLE STORE, ORCHARD ROAD0 km 270 ORCHARD ROAD SINGAPORE 238857 1800-6992-824
- QCD WHEELOCK PLACE6 km WHEELOCK PLACE, 501 ORCHARD ROAD, #05-13/14 SINGAPORE 238880 +65 6555 0500
|iPhone Model||Screen Price|
|iPhone 8 Plus||$248|
|iPhone 7 Plus||$248|
|iPhone 6s Plus||$248|
|iPhone 6 Plus||$219|
|IPhone SE, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5||$198|
Apple Service Centers vs. Authorized Third-Party Services
Having your iPhone repaired at an authorized third-party as opposed to an Apple Service Center has a few advantages. The first thing is the shorter wait time. Secondly, you don’t need to do any factory reset on the phone. The third-party repair centers will also charge you less for the same repair and will be able to handle issues with the motherboard if needed. The only downside is that third-party repairs will void the warranty.
Here’s a price breakdown of charges at the Apple Service Center:
If your iPhone is acting out, you should visit iRepair, one of the major authorized third-party repair centers in Singapore.